GOD'S WIFE

The Story of a Sex Worker

October 16, 2004

Naked Lunch

Andrew from the pharmacy called me the day after the shoot. He couldn't ever know it but he called me at a bad time. It was my first bad time since I started working in the industry. I had spent my life looking for something and when I had finally found some success I had to be held down by the sweat-soaked skin of an ugly man. Al Harvey just gave me a deeply bad feeling. The money hardly made up for it. I was making enough without his check.

Andrew was the kind of person who was probably twisting his fingers about when to call me. He called during conflict.

"Is this Shirley?" he asked.

"Yes. Is this Andrew?"

"Yeah. I forgot to ask your last name. I thought I lost your number and called information and realized I didn't have your full name."

"It's Gilchrist. My name is Shirley Gilchrist. It's an ugly name."

"Shirley Gilchrist," he said as if rolling over the name of a fine jewel.

It had been a long time since I heard my real name. As far as I was concerned, my name was Shirley Shave.

"Would you like to get some lunch today?" he asked.

"Lunch?"

"Yes, lunch."

"I don't think I've ever been asked out to lunch before."

"It's a meal just like dinner. Less pressure because it's not nighttime when you leave."

"Huh. Thing is, I'm not a big eater of lunch. I eat one big meal and that's dinner. Besides, I have to go to work today."

"Oh. Where are you working?"

"I have...a few auditions for commercials."

"You do?"

"Shampoo and detergent."

He let out a long breath as if deflating all the hope out of his body.

"We could get dinner tonight," I said.

"Dinner?"

"Yes. I'll call you when I get back from work."

"That's good," he said and I could hear him smiling.

I hung up the phone without smiling myself.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:51 AM, Blogger Laust said…

    Good to have you back, Shirley. Great post (as usual).

     
  • At 1:16 AM, Blogger ken said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wonder what is coming. Is Shirley's life going bad? I feel that it is (although I don't want it to)!! Love ya, Shirl.

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files said…

    Hiya Shirley, I got turned onto your blog by Vadergrrrrl--hope she doesn't mind the reference.

    I'm a photographer myself "in the industry" (part time--not my full day-job yet), trying my damnedest not to sweat under the hot lights and scare away the models, LOL.

    But hey, I think your blog rules. Bookmarked!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 
JoyScape - Adult Search Engine
I Want My XXX!
Kara's Links
Linkwhore
Diarist: Clix
Cunning Linguists Journals
Vote For My Site!